Sunday, July 17, 2016

My Raised Garden Beds -- Let's Make Them A Reality

This is a really exciting day!  I've always been a very earthy person.  I love nature -- it just keeps me grounded and inspires me.  I have been away from gardening for a number of years due to life -- you know -- kids in high school with way too many activities -- weddings -- grandchildren -- the list could just go on and on.  Life has finally settled down a bit and I am ready to get back to one of the things that make me one with the Earth.

For my birthday in April, I told everyone I wanted concrete blocks.  That raised a few eyebrows!  At this point in life, I have bad elbows and a bad knee.  My bad elbows are a result of pulling too many weeds years ago.  The bad knee -- well, that's a story for another day!

After lots of evenings on Pinterest, I found a great idea to make raised garden beds out of concrete blocks.  I thought that idea was perfect.  Concrete blocks are inexpensive and they will last forever.  We had 32 tons of gravel delivered and my hubby went to work rocking the area that would soon hold our raised garden beds.






It was exciting to see them take shape and we cleaned up old flower gardens too to make the backyard brighter.  We even rocked the section of the yard that used to be our pool.  It will soon be the area for a backyard fire pit.  Lots to do to make this yard perfect, but we have a good plan.  

The raised beds will be perfect for my "old" body.  I can sit on the capped side walls and reach to the center.  There will be very few weeds popping up in these beds.  No more "Weed-Puller's Elbow" for me.  No bending or stooping required for picking produce.  It's great!

Stay tuned.  The pictures above were taken in April.  I have tons more to share.  I love, love, love the new garden!  Can't wait to give you daily updates.  

Karan

No comments:

Post a Comment